The Company’s Offices are situated at No. 9 Dowgate Hill, a small building with a narrow frontage between the Skinners’ Hall at No 8 and the Dyers’ Hall at No 10. Here the Clerk has his office. This building is the centre for meetings and receptions. It has an Entrance Hall and Committee Room. It also has useful ancillary accommodation, particularly for our Archivists and Beadle.
The cloistered Courtyard, rebuilt in the 1770s, is accessible through the entrance of the ceremonial gates at 8 ½ Dowgate Hill and is used for the formation of processions, such as those to the London Stone or the Mansion House in the Company’s Tercentenary Year and to the Company’s Parish Church, St James Garlickhythe, for the annual Installation Service for the new Master in February. It offers an entrance to the Hall, with stately colonnades on three sides.
The Outer Hall was rebuilt in 1948 after it was badly damaged in the war. Overhead is a circular gallery and in the centre a chandelier made for Catherine the Great.
The Library is panelled in limed oak and is used as a small committee room and ladies’ drawing room.
The Court Room is panelled in Virginian Cedar, as Merchant Skinner Sir Thomas Smythe founded the Virginia Company.
The Main Hall contains a series of large panels by Sir Frank William Brangwyn RA, commissioned by and displaying scenes of, the Skinners’ Company which hang over the wooden panelling dating from 1850. At one end of the Hall is the Minstrels’ Gallery beneath which the Company’s banners are hung during festive occasions.